Meet Oral Surgeon Carlos Ibañez DDS
- Full name: Carlos Rafael Ibañez, DDS
- Born: April 5, 1969. Grew up in the Panama Canal Zone
- Undergraduate education: B.S. Biology at the University of Texas at San Antonio
- Dental education: D.D.S. at Universidad De Panama Facultad de Odontologia
- Oral Surgery internship: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Maxillofacial Surgery training: Certificate in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at University of North Carolina Hospitals and The School of Dentistry at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
During his residency, Dr. Ibañez learned full-scope Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery. Under the tutelage of his chairman, Dr. Timothy Turvey and Dr. William Proffit (Department of Orthodontics) among others, he learned the management of orthognathic surgical patients. Dr. George Blakey was instrumental in teaching techniques for dentoalveolar surgery and the treatment of head and neck pathology/reconstruction. Dr. Ramon Ruiz taught him Craniomaxillofacial, cleft lip and palate surgery as part of the craniofacial team. Under the tutelage of Dr. John Zuniga, Dr. Ibañez learned Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) surgery, facial pain management, as well as microsurgical nerve repair. During his facial trauma rotation at Memorial Mission Hospital in Asheville, NC, Dr. Ibañez further expanded his knowledge of traumatic injuries as taught by Dr. Raymond Fonseca and others. It was during this period, that he was asked to co-author a chapter for Dr. Fonsecas Maxillofacial Trauma textbook. An elective rotation spent with Dr. Lyndon Cooper from the Department of Prosthodontics allowed Dr. Ibañez to obtain further insight in the area of dental implant surgery and oral rehabilitation. Dr. Ibañez feels both blessed and honored that each of his Professors is a world-renowned authority and author in his specific subspecialty, and they selflessly shared their knowledge with him.
Upon completion of his residency, Dr. Ibañez became an Assistant Professor of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at The University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine, where he taught dental students as well as residents all aspects of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery. During this period, he was asked by his beloved Chairman from UNC, Dr. Timothy Turvey, to co-author a textbook chapter on orthognathic surgery. He had appointments as attending surgeon at John Dempsey Hospital, Hartford Hospital, and Connecticut Children’s Medical Center. Dr. Ibañez is an attending surgeon with full privileges at Augusta Health Hospital, in Fishersville, Virginia.
- American Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American College of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Academy of Osseointegration
- American Dental Association
- American Society of Dental Anesthesiology
- Virginia Dental Association
- Virginia Society of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Shenandoah Valley Dental Association
- Charlottesville Albemarle Dental Society
- Basic Life Support
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support
- 2004 Oral & Maxillofacial Trauma Third Edition By Fonseca and Walker Emergency Airway Management in the Traumatized Patient
- 2007 Oral And Maxillofacial Surgery Second Edition By Fonseca, Marciani, Turvey Perioperative Patient Management of the Orthognathic Patient
- 2007 Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery August, Vol. 65 No. 8 The Analgesic Efficacy and Safety of Intra-Articular Morphine and Mepivicaine Following Temporomandibular Joint Arthroplasty