What is an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon?
As the name implies, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery encompasses many treatments and conditions pertaining to the mouth, head, and face. In addition, addressing common surgical procedures like tooth extractions, these surgeons are specially trained to diagnose and treat a wide variety of conditions. In addition, oral surgeons receive extensive training and experience in anesthesia and nutrition in order to provide you with the highest quality surgical treatment.
After four years of dental school plus an additional hospital residency, an oral surgeon can treat a wide range of conditions, including but not limited to:
- Extraction of wisdom teeth (Third molars, also referred to as wisdom teeth, are evaluated and can be extracted under anesthesia or sedation according to your particular needs.)
- Placement of dental implants (The highest quality choice for tooth replacement, dental implants can be placed with ease and comfort.)
- Treatment and prevention of facial trauma (Patients who have suffered trauma or damage to the facial structures due to an auto accident, sports injury, or other traumatic event can seek treatment or even reconstruction when cared for by an experienced oral surgeon.)
- Treatment of temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ/ TMD disorders can become extremely disruptive and painful for many patients. An oral surgeon is a specialist who can properly evaluate and diagnose your particular symptoms.)
- Corrective jaw surgery (When the improper alignment of the teeth and jaw interferes with eating, speaking, or the profile of your face, your oral surgeon can perform orthognathic surgery designed to improve your appearance and the function of your teeth and jaws.)
- Sleep apnea treatment (Your oral surgeon has the capability to differentiate between problematic snoring and obstructive sleep apnea. In both cases, there is a wide range of available treatment to improve your sleep).
- Diagnosis and care regarding oral cancer, including tumors or cysts of the jaw (Where there is a suspicion of oral cancer, your oral surgeon is equipped to perform a biopsy as well as any necessary surgical treatment.
- Cosmetic surgery of the face (Cosmetic improvements to the chin, cheeks, lips, eyebrows, and nose are all within your oral surgeon’s range of expertise.)
If you have needs that could be better served by an oral surgeon in Charlottesville, don’t hesitate to schedule your consultation today.